Integrity & Aptitude Assessments: The Science
With regards to theft…
High-quality integrity assessments are a valid, convenient, economical, accurate, free from adverse impact, and typically noninvasive tool. Specifically, they are more economical and convenient than other screening. As the science of psychometrics has advanced, the assessments have become increasingly accurate in predicting the work performance they are designed to identify. These tests have demonstrated the ability to select applicants without discriminating against protected groups. This freedom from adverse impact is in contrast to most other traditional screening techniques such as interviews, intelligence tests, and records checks, which research and recent court decisions, have shown to at times, be discriminatory.
Another important reason written integrity tests are becoming more popular is that the problems they are designed to address are large and growing rapidly. Consider the following:
- According to the National Business Crime Information Network, American businesses lost more than $200 billion in cash and merchandise theft committed by employees.
- The US Department of Commerce estimates that all forms of tangible theft add between 5 percent and 15 percent to customer retail prices.
- The Department of Justice estimates insider theft is growing at 15 percent annually.
- US employees stole an estimated $170 billion worth of their employers’ time in 1989, according to personnel consulting firm Robert Half International.
- A 1983 US Department of Commerce study concluded that about one third of all employees steal from their companies.
With regards to other adverse behaviors…
Although theft is often the first thought when thinking of business losses, many other adverse behaviors exist that are costly to businesses:
- Sexual harassment
- Anti-Social behavior and more…
Integrity assessments have proven effective in predicting future behaviors that may be costly to businesses. When combined with other legally available tools, integrity assessments is part of a complete package for businesses, groups and organizations to make better decisions. This results in savings to businesses estimated in the billions of dollars resulting from loss of production and legal entanglements.
It is most helpful for employers and for that matter a job applicant to know what their talents and suitability is for a job or profession. This type of assessment is often used in school systems to help evaluate a student’s aptitude for various career paths. Being available as an online resource will help you in making good personnel choices.